12/31/2010

Collider.com: Worst 5 Films of 2010 ("Eclipse" at #2)


2. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

In my review of the film, I asked why folks found The Twilight Saga so appealing. I got more responses telling me I should have read the books than actually defending the movie. If I need to read a book in order to appreciate a movie, then the movie is a failure. And I still don’t have a satisfactory answer to my question about why Bella Swan is a worthwhile protagonist. There are going to be scores of teenage girls who grow up thinking that rather than fighting your own battles, it’s better to have big strong guys fight your battles for you. It’s also okay if those guys lack a personality (Edward) or are domineering assholes (Jacob). It just matters that they’re hot and will do everything for you, including walking and telling you how you feel.

Every time I see a Twilight movie and the scores of teenage girls “Oooh” and “Aaaah” over the offensive actions of the protagonists, I feel sad for the future. Also making me sad for the future: knowing I’ll have to endure two more of these movies.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

- Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...